8.20.2012

The New S&S! Also Some College Tips.

Hey everyone! As I mentioned in a previous post, Sparkle 'n Spice is undergoing some changes-- a re-vamping, if you will. My life is changing, and I think it is only fitting that the blog changes with me. My posts will probably be geared a lot more towards college life from here on out, but I'll still keep the same idea of the blog--to provide a place for young women to go to get inspired and feel good about themselves.

So anyways, here is the first post of the new and improved S&S!

It is not even close to being a secret that college students aren't the healthiest of people. I mean, I've met a few who have managed to eat well so far, but personally, I have eaten pretty shadily since moving into my dorm. Whether it is because I am too lazy to go to the dining halls or because I am eating junk food just because I don't have as much access to healthy foods, the result is the same--a lot of carbs and sugar and not a lot of fruits and veggies.

Now, I am not saying that you should try to eat only bunny food, or even that you should completely banish all sweet treats. I am, however, going to give you guys some tips to stay as healthy as possible without having to obsess over your food intake in college.

1. WATER. I know that I've mentioned this before, but water is SO IMPORTANT if you want to get/stay healthy. Your body is over 60% water--your blood is around 90% water and your muscles (brain included!!!) are about 75% water. So, while you are eating all those nasty delicious foods, make sure that you are drinking plenty of water to flush the toxins and such out of your system. As a plus, you will feel more alert and your skin will be clearer and brighter.

2. WALK. This depends on which campus you are on, but most colleges are walk-able. Don't drive to your classes, don't take a bus...Walk! It's revitalizing and it is an easy way to burn calories and tone up.

3. CHILL OUT. I know everyone reacts differently to stress, but I tend to eat whatever I can get my hands on when I am overwhelmed rather than focusing on what I need to do and solving any issues. If you are the same way, relax! Meditation can help a lot, as well as listening to calming music. Also, I know that there are infinite social opportunities in college, but once in a while, stay in your room! Eat dinner, then go back to your dorm, shower, put some PJs on, and just relax! Watch some TV, have a little dance party with yourself...whatever you need!

4. STOCK UP. It is so tempting when you go shopping for your dorm to buy popcorn, candy and soda, but resist! Okay, obviously you can buy some--live a little! But also buy some easy-to-prepare fruits and veggies like pre-cut carrots and apples, just so that when you feel like eating well, you actually can!

More tips to come!

Stay healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment