8.06.2012

Hot Mess.

That is the only phrase that can describe me right now. I move into my dorm tomorrow morning, and I am so not ready! Not only have I not finished packing, but I haven't ordered my textbooks or completed this alcohol and drug awareness online seminar (dumb). Anyways, between working all the time and all of that, I am about ready to run through the streets with "I QUIT" painted on my naked body. I will probably end up in an asylum shortly after that.
So this post is not just for me to vent about my stress. It is to try to seek calmness for myself, and hopefully to help some of you out there along the way. It is so easy to allow ourselves to get overwhelmed by our lives. We practically welcome stress, because it somehow makes us feel accomplished or even simply functional to be over scheduled.
But I think it is high time to take a step back--to transcend our daily lives as take a look at the bigger picture. When you feel yourself start to get stressed out, ask yourself these questions:

What do I want out of this life?

Where will I be a week, a month, a year from now?

What is it that truly makes me happy?

I will go ahead and answer these questions for myself. What I want out of life is to be fulfilled. To one day have a family, to have made myself proud by working hard, and to have shown those close to me how much I love them.
A week from now, I will be started classes at the University if Georgia, and hopefully I will have found a sorority that likes me as much as I like it. month from now, I will have completed my first month of college! I will have made new friends and discovered a new piece of myself. A year from now, I will be entering my sophomore year, having hopefully figured some things out, but also having new, exciting questions.

Another way to calm down when you are feeling overwhelmed is to try and focus on one thing at a time. When you are at work, focus on being at work. When you are, say, packing, focus on packing--not on the million other things that you have to do later. It is important to live in the moment without losing perspective.

I hope this helps! Keep coming back--there are gonna be some changes at Sparkle 'n Spice soon!

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment